Darfield, Barnsley.
Return
To add photos please click here Add Photos!

 

Darfield is a former mining village within the Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley, South Yorkshire; like most of the towns and villages around here, the village was there long before mining started in the area.

Many Roman coins have been unearthed in Darfield and there is evidence to suggest that the village was inhabited by Romans; there are also records of an 8th-century church in Darfield, but when the Domesday Book was written in 1086 there was no mention of it; in Saxon, the name "Feld" describes 'a large area of pasture land' , while the term "Dere" refers to the deer which inhabited the forest; when combined, these give the name Derefeld which later became Darfield.

Darfield remained an insignificant agricultural village for many centuries until in 1862 two mining companies sank shafts to exploit the rich seam of coal that ran through the area, these became the Darfield Main and Mitchells Main collieries; due to the pits the local population quickly increased and it became a labour pool for the surrounding coalmines, by 1901, over 4,000 people lived there compared to just 600 inhabitants in 1851.

Until June 1963, Darfield had a railway station on the former Midland Railway's Sheffield Midland - Cudworth - Leeds City line; however, the line itself closed in 1988 due to severe subsidence, probably due to the mining itself.



Go back.