Holywell Green, Halifax.
Return
To add photos please click here Add Photos!

 

Holywell Green is a small village in Halifax in the Calderdale area of West Yorkshire and Jagger Green is a tiny place located less than a mile away to the south east via a restricted road; Holywell Green was recorded in the Domesday book as being "a small hamlet within the township of Stainland"; it gets its name from St Helen's Well which was known within the area during medieval times; the location of the original Holy Well is uncertain; it could be St Helen's Well itself at the spring in Shaw Park, behind the chapel or at the top of Thomas Street.

Holywell Green is the name given to the east side of Stainland; it is based around Stainland Road and Station Road and built on an east-facing hill; since West View and Bradley View were built, Stainland and Holywell Green have been conjoined; the centre of Holywell Green may be marked by an old oak tree in Shaw Park, close to the Station Road and Brooklands Avenue entrances.

Shaw Park is the biggest park in the area, the main entrance of which is located off Station Road; the park was the garden of Brooklands House until the house's demolition in 1930; in 1955, Raymond Shaw gave the garden to Elland UDC after which it became a public park; it has a playground, an astroturf 5-a-side football pitch, a well, an ornamental lake, a reed pond, some arches, three follies and woods; the follies are located at the top of the park and were built by John Shaw as aviaries; the park is accessible by four entrances, Shaw Lane next to Brooklands Avenue, Shaw Lane next to Brooklands Close, the very bottom of Shaw Lane and Station Road.

St Helen’s Well is mentioned in John Watson's monumental The History and Antiquities of the Parish of Halifax, 1775; he gives no description but says a Roman Catholic chapel dedicated to St Helen, nearby had been converted into a cottage, but in its walls was a large stone known locally as 'the Cross'; strangers, presumed to be Catholics, made pilgrimages to the well; Watson also possessed a deed which mentioned a grant made to Henry de Sacro Fonte de Staynland. dated between 1279 and 1324; the well was restored in 1843 in response to interest in drinking 'spa' water; the 'Halifax Guardian' for September 1842 described the scene around Well Head spa where crowds carrying drinking utensils jostled each other in their eagerness to take the waters.

Well Head was the most popular of the Halifax spas but several other springs in the area were frequented; similar scenes may have occurred around this well; in the late 19th century the well was declining; the stone trough had cracked and was leaking; local placenames reflect the importance of the well; the well was further restored in 1977 and the crumbling trough of the woodcut has been replaced by a solid modern one; although, no water flows into it now.



Go back.